WHAT DOES ODD FELLOWS MEAN?
The name itself signifies something different or out of the ordinary. It is ODD, because it endeavours to enlighten the mind without taking privileges. It conforms to Law, Religion and sound Morality without usurping the rights of the church or that of the courts. It creates a brotherhood and sisterhood and not a division among men and women. It presents life in all its fullness, through degrees, so linked together that each one receiving the degrees may broaden his or her mind and elevate his or her character.
FIRST – It is an organization, because it is a systematic union of individuals in a body whose officers, committees and members work together for a common goal.
- Endow a $1.2 million research chair at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and in Ontario support research at the University of Toronto Eye Bank.
- Provide scholarships and low interest loans to deserving college and university students through a $2.8 million Education Loan Foundation.
- Maintain more than 80 facilities for the aged and youth.
- Spend $11 million annually in relief.
- Raised more than 2.5 million in 12 years for Arthritis Research.
- Plant trees and other vegetation, striving to combat the effects of Global Warming and as a gift to future generations.
- Proclaimed the only Fraternal Order privileged and allowed to place a medal (Grand Decoration of Chivalry) in the trophy case among the military medals at Arlington National Cemetery in Washington D.C.
- Participates in annual wreath laying ceremonies at the cenotaphs in Ottawa and Washington D.C.
Odd Fellows & Rebekahs are a fraternity that cares about its local communities.
For More Information about Lodges in your area contact:
The Grand Lodge of Ontario
John R. Nichols – Grand Secretary
157 Frederick Street
Stratford, ON N5A 3V6
Phone: 519-273-8088 or Fax: 519-273-8090